Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Wildcard Part I


I've been covering Manny Pacquiao for his then upcoming fight with Ricky Hatton and its truly one of the best experiences I've had as a boxing fan. I decided to write down my experiences during and after the Pacquiao-Hatton fight as details tend to be forgotten as time passes. This will be a way to share my experiences with everyone else and most importantly, a way to remind myself of what I saw and how I felt.

Part I will be me covering Manny at the Media Open Workout, the 2nd part will be covering Manny privately with Steve Kim of Maxboxing and the 3rd part will be my experience at the fight.

Part I

I had been to the Wildcard Gym before to cover Manny Pacquiao for his fight with Oscar De La Hoya. In doing so, I became accustomed to the staff, the gym and the craziness that occurs during a media day for such a huge fighter as Manny. As always, I made sure I left my house early and arrived at the gym about and hour to 45 mins before Manny was set to arrive to avoid any problems. As I arrived, there was already media personnel waiting outside; apparently I wasn't that early.

Michael Moorer advised us all that they would clear the gym first before allowing any of us to go inside. As I stood around waiting and seeing fighter after fighter walk down the Wildcard stairs, I also noticed how hectic this parking lot really is. Many of you have seen it on 24/7 and Rob Peterson (Pacquiao's guard and parking lot enforcer) continued to tell people to move their cars and get the hell out of there. It looked like the 405 or 101 freeway @ 5pm.


They started letting people in so I quickly made my way up the stairs only to be stopped at the very top and told we had to wait. A bunch of people were already inside and Gerry Penalosa was sparring for his upcoming fight with Juan Manuel Lopez. It killed me not to be able to go in and film and watch this. Steve Kim, who happens to be very well known at the Wildcard so he has the luxury of being able to walk right in, came to the door and wondered if Manny would show up on time. I broke the news to him that I had overheard someone from Pacquiao's team say he wouldn't be there till about 1:30 (it was only noon) and he wasn't too thrilled to hear that.

Finally we're let in and I immediately go and reserve my spot near the ring where Manny would later be working out. As I do, Gerry is going his last round of sparring and he's throwing some bombs. I then notice Freddie is now being interviewed behind me so I get myself ready to get my 1 on 1. Finally get my turn and get a good interview with him; I'm very pleased with how it went. Asked him about their fight plan, if Manny was going to stay put @ 140, how he felt about Manny not having to fight a Mexican fighter since 2005, etc. Now its time to wait for the man of the hour, Mr. Manny Pacquiao.

Manny strolls in around 1:20 as camera flashes go off non stop and he heads into the small locker room to change. Writers are later let inside the room to get their questions answered and Manny then comes out and gets in the ring. The plan is to go around the ring where everyone is set up with their cameras and give quick interviews. It works very well as it goes quickly and everyone gets a chance to talk to Manny. Now Manny is probably one of the harder people to interview. He doesn't give you much and after a while, there's only so much you can ask him as everyone is asking him the exact same questions. After he handles his media duties, its time to get down to business.

Seeing Manny shadow box and work the mitts with Freddie right in front of me is still mind boggling. I feel privileged to be able to see a future hall of famer and all time great a few feet from me working and mastering his craft. He looks as strong as ever and fast as I can remember. When he lands some hard combinations on Freddie's mitts it sounds like gunshots going off. I have to wonder how hard it is for Freddie to absorb the impact of those punches especially given his condition but he holds up well. At one point Manny goes into a orthodox stance and I'm not sure many notice but I wonder if this is something they'll try during the fight. No breaks are taken as Manny looks like a beast landing crisp hard punches and listening to Freddie's advice. Eventually Freddie calls it quits and Manny urges he wants to go more but Roach shakes his head and takes off his gear.

He heads to the punching bag now and exits the ring. Now, Steve has told me one of the things he loves about Manny even more than sparring is how he works the bag. He said it really shows his balance, quickness and combination punching at its best. And boy was he right. Manny starts off slow and then picks up the pace and intesitiy and he is just going to town on the bag. So much so that a guy standing behind me has no choice but to say "goddamn" as Pacquiao throws blinding combos and moves around it so effortlessly. His time is up and Alex Ariza, his strength and conditioning trainer, gives him a swig of water.

I'm fortunate to get some great footage of Manny's mitt action and the heavybag. The Wildcard gym always feels like an inferno. Hot and muggy and having so many people in there definitely doesn't help matters. After the bag, Manny makes his way to the speed bag where I get some footage and then begin talking with 2 of the guys that work and cover for Ring Magazine. I always run into them at events and press conferences and today was no exception. We start talking about the fight and we're all pretty much in agreement that Manny is going to win. He looks too strong, too fast, too everything. By this time media begins leaving as they've had their fill and got their footage. Manny does some more shadow boxing and clowning around with his team.

My highlight of the day now occurs. I take a seat by the ring a bit exhaused and I see Freddie Roach turn down the radio as he obviously isn't too keen on Manny's choice of music (lol). I smile as I see him do it and he shakes his head letting me know he doesn't really like the music. Then, I ask him when Amir Khan will be in town and to my surprise, Freddie sits right next to me. He tells me Amir will be here in a couple weeks and as he tells me that, Fred Sternburg from Top Rank walks over and gives Freddie a letter to sign. I try not to read it but I glance over it and it turns out its a letter to Floyd Sr letting him know Freddie is the best trainer and its signed "The Best Trainer in the World, Freddie Roach".

Freddie breaks into laughter and tells me they plan to give this letter to Mayweather the next day at Hatton's open workout while the 24/7 cameras catch it. They're also sending him some type of present. Then the producer/director of 24/7 walks over and talks to Freddie about them going to see Mickey Rourke and apparently Rourke told them some interesting and funny stories about Freddie. Freddie talked about one that was pretty hilarious which I won't share here since I got the feeling it wasn't supposed to leave that circle. I felt like a giddy schoolgirl around this time but I knew when it was time to go so I told Freddie thanks for everything and told him I would be in contact regarding Amir Khan. Top notch guy, its no wonder he is loved by many.

I walked out happy and excited and saw a bunch of fans waiting outside waiting for Manny to come out to sign their gloves, posters, etc. I walked to my car remembering when I was the one waiting outside and now I'm actually working for a boxing site and having access to these fighters thanks to my good friend Ernie Gabion. I got in my car and drove past the gym where Manny had already made his way out and had a crowd surrounding him...what a day.

Part II Sneak Peek: I see Manny Pacquiao spar, talk to one of his sparring partner David Rodela (the one who Manny dropped with a body shot on 24/7) and go to the back of the Wildcard with Steve Kim for a 1 on 1 private interview with Manny.

1 comment:

  1. put this on the forum. Good shit sonny!

    ReplyDelete